Sunday, October 26, 2008

Grocery Game

Some of my blog readers have joined the grocery game. I hope you are finding it as rewarding as I do!

I do want to emphasize the need to trust the list. For example, there have been many times that I have bought an item because it was on sale and I had a coupon even though the item was not featured on the list. Every time that I have done this, either the next week or shortly after I have found that the same item was now featured on the list because it was a lower price than when I bought it.

I have also found that many times I bought that item thinking I would use it that week and ended up not using it until the week that it was cheaper!!!

I know that this is nothing to beat yourself up over but in the game to save money I get thrilled to see how much I can save during each shop! Try your best to shop off the list and add only the items you have to get. You will find that the other items you need will eventually be featured on list.

Yesterday, my grocery cart didn't look like enough food to feed my family real meals. I bought pop, lucky charms, coffeemate, toilet paper, pretzels and milk. I had other items in my cart as well but I bought a lot of the other items because they were blue (which means that you should buy as much as you can and have coupons for). This weeks shop has helped me build up a new stockpile for these items. Since the soup cycle has been going on, I have been adding to my soup stockpile and after this week I should be set for the next 12 weeks. I have many other items at home that will allow me create meals for this week even though it wasn't purchased this week.

Stockpile....
Think about how much of an item your family will eat in a week and try to buy this amount to cover 12 weeks. For example, we will only eat about 1-2 cans of soup a week. I know have about 10-12 cans of soup in my pantry. I was able to get many of these cans for .50-.75 cents each. If you will only eat soup every other week, then you would need 1/2 of this amount. Buying 12 weeks of an item sounds like a lot, but it really isn't as much as it may seem. Right now we also have 12 weeks of our families favorite cereal (which is about 6 boxes)- Lucky Charms and Honey Nut Cherrios. Most of these boxes were bought for about $1.50 (These were large boxes).

I hope that these grocery game tips have helped!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment