Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Meijer shop 1/14/09 (Spent 108 and Saved 100)

Wow! I don't recall saving this much in coupons before. My cashier at Meijer (one of my favorites) was sooooo cute as she kept entering each of my coupons. She said to me, "You did good." Of course, I didn't correct being that I am an English teacher. I know that sometimes we come across not so nice cashiers as we hand over our coupons. I have heard some interesting stories from friends. One story I heard is that the cashier said "You know you use too many coupons." Is there really such a thing as using too many coupons?

Anyways, my favorite cashier was so sweet as she entered each coupon. She said, "Now hunny make sure that I get each one and let me know if it doesn't ring up correctly." Now that is a great cashier. After she entered all of my coupons, I ended up knocking $32.80 off my bill!!! The lady behind me in line just smiled!!!

Some of my friends have adopted my ways and won't pay full price ever again for groceries. Everything that I bought today was on sale. I find myself wanting to stop people who are shopping and tell them that they can save soooo much and buy sooooo much more for their family. I haven't been so bold to go up to total strangers but I do bore and irritate some of my friends as I my holler my savings stories. I want everyone to be able to save this much!!!

What can you do with your weekly grocery savings? I have some friends that are saving for trips, paying off bills, or just using the extra savings to get by from week to week. If you want some extra help, suggestions, or ideas let me know. I am no expert, but I am finding out a lot of the ins and outs of this coupon world!!

Now to the Meijer shop...
Lots of goodies this week....84 items (my cart was overflowing!!!)

Some of the items I bought were 2 packages of vitamins, 4 of the energy efficient light bulbs, airborne, 8 fruit snack and gushers (my daughters' love them), 5 chex mix, 3 hamburger helper, 4 frozen veggies, grapes, 1 pizza, 1 milk, 24 eggs, 2 pkgs. ground turkey, lunchmeat turkey, 2 orange juice, grands bisquits, pancake mix, syrup, 4 pkgs. fiber one bars, 4 pkgs. nature valley granola bars, 3 creme of chicken soup, paper towels, 16 yoplait yogurts, 2 avocados, coffee, fantastic, bathroom cleaner, fabric softener, garlic toast, and 3 packages of danactive.

Yes, some of these are excessive...For example there is no way my children will eat 8 boxes of fruit snacks and/or gushers. Let me correct myself, I am sure that they could eat all 8 boxes but it would not be allowed by their mean mom. If you remember reading on my previous posts, you buy as many items as you can when an item is at its cheapest price. When an item is at that price you then apply your coupon and save the most. For example the fruit snacks were originally $2.84. They were on sale for 1.50 each and I had a coupon for .50/2. Since Meijer will double 2 like coupons, I was able to get 1.00 off of 2. So they were a 1.00 a piece. This saved me 1.84 off of the original price!!!

Another recommendation I have mentioned before is to get an extra paper. For awhile, I would make a conscious effort to pick one up every Sunday. I was already getting one delivered so this would get me 2. Some of the great coupons savings ladies that are out there buy a lot more than this to get their savings. There is one lady who spends only $800 a year on groceries!!! For me, I only get 2 papers since Meijer will only double 2 like coupons. I don't have the time to make 2 trips to the store a week in order to maximize the savings. I recommend getting your nearest major city newspaper. I now receive the Chicago Tribune. It is delivered so if I don't make it out of the house to pick up an extra paper I am set. It cost about $1.25 a week to get the Sunday paper. This is .25 cents more than it does to buy a paper at our store. By having it delivered, you don't have to drive; therefore saving gas money and also I am finding better coupons in the Tribune that we don't have in our local paper. For example today, Powerade was on sale at Kroger for .88 cents. I had a coupon that was only in the Tribune's coupon circular for $1.00 off. I was able to get 1 powerade for FREE!!!

Well back to my savings...
I spent 108.00 (I had a merchandise credit for 5.86)
Saved over $66.74 for buying items on sale
Coupons saved me 32.80
Total savings $99.54

YIPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment