Monday, September 3, 2012

Saving Money by giving old things a new life!

I am sure many of you are finding some amazing ideas on Pinterest. I find that although I LOVE PINTEREST it encourages me to WANT for more. Yes, they have great ideas to save money, budget and organize which in turn will save you money, but it also gives me great ideas for redecorating that makes me want to SHOP!

There is a great blogger that I have begun to follow at Infarrantly Creative.  I found her through Pinterest and subscribe to her posts through email. This summer she posted a great patio redo that inspired me to consider giving my patio set a new life.

My husband and I bought our patio set about 10 years ago. The set consisted of 6 dining chairs, umbrella and table, swinging bench, and chaise lounge. It was a sturdy rod iron set that we knew would hold up through the years. The furniture was in great shape but the paint job and the cushions were a little worse for wear.

I had begun to price out new sets and the cost for as many pieces as we currently had would have had us spending thousands of dollars. This was not going to happen so I began to consider how can we give this old set new life!

The deciding factor was to see if we could find cushions that fit our chairs. Our original set had cushions that folded over the top to create a pillow top to rest your head against. I was unable to find cushions that would include this feature. So hubby and I shopped for a cushion that would go higher to cover this portion of the chair.

After looking online and at every store that we thought would carry cushions, we found some at our neighborhood Lowe's. Once we found cushions, we could make some decisions about the color. The cushions I found were just perfect.

It is amazing what a can of spray paint can do to give something new life! Our entire family is very happy with the patio set's new face lift and so is my pocketbook!



Old Set before face lift


Left chair was spray painted brown
New umbrella, spray painted table, new cushions

New set with glider


No comments:

Post a Comment